rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales)

Along Came a Spider - Kate SeRine **Find this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian**Another Transplanted Tales hit! When the Transplanted Tales series burst onto my reading horizon last year, I knew I had found something special. I couldn't get enough of book 1, Red, and book 2, The Better To See You, was a lot of fun as well. When I discovered that book 3 would star two of my favorite supporting characters, well, there may have been a lot of grinning and happy dancing involved ;)The story itself kicks off with a new breed of vampire terrorizing the streets, and all evidence seems to lead back to the infamous vamp of all vamps, Vlad Dracula, whom we first met in book one. As a longtime and vital member of the FMA team, Trish Muffet has the gruesome task of processing the crime scenes. Not an easy job, by any means, and it isn't made any easier when Ordinaries get involved. The human-run Agency creates all sorts of problems for both Trish and the FMA, and it's quickly apparent that they have their own agenda when it comes to the Tales and this case. Throw in an entity that is haunting Trish, and the reappearance of Nicky Blue, aka The Spider, and you've got all the makings for an exciting read.Along Came A Spider delighted me in every way. I knew Trish was a great character, but I didn't appreciate how truly kickass she was until I read this book. She's an engaging heroine - intelligent, snarky, and tough as nails when she needs to be - and while Tess from book one remains my favorite heroine in the series, Trish is a very close second. I liked her in every way, right from the get-go, and I enjoyed her story so much, I was actually peeved when it ended because I wanted it to keep going! Leading man Nicky "Little Boy" Blue is one of those wonderful characters who straddles the line between light and dark, the kind of guy who can save the day one minute and lay a smackdown on his enemies the next. I was already half in love with Nicky after book one, so you can imagine the levels of fangirlness I reached in Along Came A Spider. He's exactly the kind of hero I go for, and wow, does he ever share some chemistry with Trish! I loved their backstory, and the longing they both felt for one another that added a delicious, sexually-charged intensity to all of their interactions. The supporting cast is amazing as well. Not only do we get to see more of the couples from previous books (Tess and Nate, Lavendar and Seth), there's also tantalizing glimpses of other Tales who are sure to make their way into future books. Gideon in particular....holy hotness, Gideon!!! He was a total scene stealer and I cannot WAIT to read his story. A bit of paranormal romance, a bit of urban fantasy, and all awesomeness, the Transplanted Tales series offers readers everything they could possibly ask for - creative storytelling, action and humor, fantastic characters, and a world you will to return to again and again. You simply MUST read it! 4.5 Stars ★★★★1/2ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.