rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)

Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) - Seanan McGuire Sooooo worth the wait! The October Day series is, hands-down, one of the best I've read. It offers everything I love - action, a rich, well-imagined world, and a fabulous cast of main & supporting characters. With the exception of A Local Habitation (which I liked, but didn't love), every book has become an instant favorite, and IMO, Ashes of Honor might just be the best yet. The story picks up about a year after the events of book 5, One Salt Sea. October is still recovering from everything that happened, the personal losses she sustained, and her friends are worried, both about the risks she is willing to take and the wall she's built around herself. She's there, she's functioning, but as Tybalt tells her, she's lost, and everyone is waiting for her to find her way back home. To them, and to herself. The main plot centers around October's quest to find a missing Changeling child. Whose child is a surprise, which I won't give away, but as in any McGuire novel, what seems like a straightforward job is anything but. It's one surprise and near-death moment after the other. Thankfully, October isn't alone. Her friends are with her every step of the way. All of them, it seems - everyone she's met and helped through the last 5 books. May, Quentin, Raj, the Luidaeg, April, Elliot, Walther, Etienne, Jin, Luna, Sylvester, and of course Tybalt....we see them all, some more than others, and yet the story never feels overcrowded. There's a purpose to everyone's presence, a part for all to play. For me, what really drove this novel wasn't finding the missing girl or defeating the bad guys. It was Toby and her various relationships, and seeing her transition from grieving & closing herself off emotionally, because she's afraid of losing someone she cares about (again), to fully embracing the idea that all these people who call themselves her friends & allies are, simply put, her family. They won't leave her. No matter what happens, they'll be there to watch her back, patch up her hurts, and keep her sane & smiling through good days and bad. And then there is Tybalt...ah, Tybalt. Our King of Cats is all over this book, and I couldn't be happier. Love, love, LOVE that man! I can't really say more because too much of it would be spoilery, so I will content myself with this: It's about damn time!!!! *happy dance* Final verdict: Ashes of Honor is f*cking amazing. 5 out of 5 stars.