rabidreading

Rabid Reading

The Thing About Weres - Leigh Evans **Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**My Favorite WerewolfYou've all seen Stars Wars, right? (The original Star Wars, not the newer ones - they don't count as far as I'm concerned.) The first movie introduced us to the world, the characters, and got us all excited and shouting "OMG, this is awesome!" from every available rooftop. Then BAM, along comes The Empire Strikes Back, where everything that can go wrong, does. It's a fantastic film, but oh man, did our heroes ever get put to the test! It was just one thing after another, right to the end. That's a bit what THE THING ABOUT WERES is like. It's a trial by fire, especially for our spunky heroine, Hedi Peacock. Trowbridge has been gone for six months now, and as his mate, Hedi has been thrown into the Alpha role, leading a pack of werewolves who don't fully accept her and are quick to challenge her at every turn. As if that isn't enough, Hedi is without her friend and companion Merry, she's still trying to figure out the whole Mystwalker thing, she's plagued by nightmares about Trowbridge, AND her two natures (Fae and werewolf) are constantly in conflict with each other. She's doing her best to hold her head above water, but every day, it feels like she sinks a little further. And the icing on her craptastic cake? The North American Council of Weres is now involved, and they prepared to remove her...permanently.In THE THING ABOUT WERES, Hedi is really put through the wringer - physically and emotionally - and unfortunately, she doesn't pass every test with flying colors. Her guilt, fear and insecurities trip her up A LOT - more so than in the book one, and yes, as a reader, I wrestled with that a bit. I understood it, though. The phrase "darkest before the dawn" very much applies to Hedi's storyline. She has to be down before she can be up, and this is definitely a down book for her. I spent a lot of time biting my nails and worrying my head off, because I wasn't sure she would be able to survive the extreme dangers and challenges she faced. It was just too much. But Hedi is a kickbutt character and a lot tougher than she gives herself credit for. In the end, adversity really did make her stronger. Of course, having Trowbridge back may have had something to do with that...maybe ;)Oh, did I forget to mention that? Yes, my lovelies, TROWBRIDGE RETURNS! *fist pumps*....and this is the point where my review devolves from a semi-intelligent analysis into fangirl gushing. I can't help it. Robson Trowbridge is my favorite alpha male werewolf of all time. That's right, OF ALL TIME. Why, you ask? Aside from the fact that he's off-the-charts sexy and I swoon every time I see his name? Well, for starters, he doesn't run around beating his chest and shouting "I AM THE MAN!" to prove his alpha-ness. Nor is he an overly sensitive pushover. He is a strong, well-balanced character who can comfortably (and believably!) alternate between toughness and gentleness. He isn't perfect, by any means, but when it's time to step up, he does. No fanfare, no need for thanks or praise - he just does it. If that doesn't make him a hero worth drooling over, I don't know what does! He is simply amazeballs and I seriously cannot sing his praises enough.I could go on and on about how remarkable this series is and all the jaw-dropping, heart-stopping things that happened in THE THING ABOUT WERES - and believe me, there is plenty of awesomeness to choose from - but if you asked me to pick my absolute favorite thing about TTAW, it would have to be NAKED TROWBRIDGE. Perhaps that makes me shallow but c'mon, when a naked werewolf strolls repeatedly across the page and is described in such vivid and loving detail (ahem!), it makes an impression! And let me tell you, Naked Trowbridge, as seen through the eyes of Hedi, is a sight to behold. As in, stop the presses, drop everything, and ogle for DAYS.NAKED TROWBRIDGEI also am completely in love with the Hedi/Trowbridge relationship. We all have book couples we rant and rave about, characters we declare are perfect for each other, and if you're anything like me, that list of favorite couples is quite long. But every once in a while, a couple comes along and knocks the ball so far out of the park, they shoot right onto your Top 10 list, because they are JUST SO AMAZING. Hedi and Trowbridge did that for me. It isn't easy bringing together two people with such different backgrounds and personalities, but Leigh Evans pulls it off beautifully. She doesn't just tell me Hedi and Trowbridge work as a couple - she shows me, over and over again, throughout the course of the story. In book one, Hedi was the shining star, and in TTAW, it's Trowbridge. He was the rock Hedi desperately needed, and his devotion to her didn't waver for a single second. He's 100% there for her, believing in her even when she doesn't believe in herself, and he proves, repeatedly, that he is willing to fight for their future together. (Honestly, could the guy be any more swoonworthy? I am in total lust/love with him.)Supporting character Cordelia deserves a special mention for being such a faithful friend and ally, and for just being all-around awesome. He/She rocks in every way. Sadly, the rest of the Pack did not impress me and they've got a lot of work to do to redeem themselves in my eyes. I don't expect everyone to hold hands and sing Kumbayah together, but I would like to see a healthy, functioning Pack in the future.As you can probably tell by now, I heart the heck out of this series. It's one of the best urban fantasies I've ever had the pleasure of reading and I cannot recommend it highly or strongly enough. There are a total of 4 books planned, with book #3, The Problem With Promises, releasing in February 2014, so there's plenty of time for you to discover and fall in love with the Mystwalker books. Get to it! 5 Stars ★★★★★ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.