rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Come Alive - Karina Halle **Find this & other reviews at The Demon Librarian**INCOMING: Shocks, Scares and Swoons! When I read an EIT book, I am guaranteed a few things. I know I'm going to laugh loud and often, and that I'll end up highlighting and bookmarking at least half the book (usually more). I expect to be freaked out, creeped out, turned on, and in general, have the emotional crap kicked out of me. And I know that at some point, I will end up cursing Karina Halle's name and screaming something incoherent like, "NOOOOOOOO! WHAT....HOW....GAHHHHH, I CAN'T EVEN!!!!!!"I did all of that, and more, while reading COME ALIVE. This was more than just another EIT book, folks. This was EIT on steroids. Everything was bigger and more intense somehow, and I do mean everything. The humor, the emotion, the creepiness, and OMG the sexiness! But then, that makes sense, doesn't it, considering the book is told entirely from Dex's POV and he's always been a larger-than-life character. You think you loved him in his novellas? You ain't seen nothin' yet! Dex is going to rock your socks off in this book.....and maybe rock you out of your clothes too ;)But nothing ever comes easy for Derry (Dex + Perry, for those of you who don't know), and COME ALIVE is no exception. They are really put to the test in this book, in ways I never expected, and at certain points, I had to check to make sure I still had a heart, because I could have sworn it had just been ripped out of my chest. It hurt....but it hurt good.The scare factor in COME ALIVE was particularly high for me, and not because of the zombies (although they were rather frightening). The bathroom scene....OMG *shudder*....I will never get up to pee at 3am again! What really got me, though, was seeing two big, personal fears of mine played out in scenes within the book. I actually hyperventilated at one point because Karina described an event so vividly, it felt like it was happening to me, not the character, and I couldn't handle it. I had to put the book aside for a minute or two and pull myself together before I could dive back in. Crazy, right? But that's a Karina book for you! She shakes up her readers better than any author I know.Last but certainly not least, there's the sex factor. Whoa, mama! We're all familiar with pervy Dex, and while we've been teased with a few sizzly scenes between him and Perry throughout the course of the series, COME ALIVE is the first book we really get to see Bedroom Dex. Just thinking about some of the wonderfully sinful things he did makes my skin steam. Perry is one very lucky girl!This book was epic, my friends. EPIC. It's a true game-changer (it even changed my mind about Maximus!) and I am so excited to see where things go from here! Can't WAIT for the next one!5 Bazillion Stars ★★★★★ *****************************These gifs pretty well capture all my reactions as I read the book. What a ride! :)