rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Dare You To - Katie McGarry **Find this & other reviews at The Demon Librarian**An Unforgettable, Star-Crossed RomanceI enjoyed last year's Pushing The Limits. The story was well-written, jam-packed with swoons and feels, and I found it easy to connect to the characters. But the romance was kinda meh for me. I liked it, sure, but I wasn't wowed by it. DARE YOU TO, on the other hand, completely blew me away. I freaking loved it.We first met Beth in PTL, and oh boy, what a hot mess she was! She still is when her story begins in DARE YOU TO. Her home life is a walking disaster zone, and after one particularly catastrophic night, she is forced to move and start over. Beth is 100% against the idea, and her anger over the situation brings out the worst in her. She's combative, argumentative, and downright unpleasant to virtually everyone she comes in contact with in her new home and school.No bones about it, Beth Risk is a challenging character. She's all prickles and stings, especially in the beginning, and it may be hard for some readers to connect with her. For me, though, her attitude had the opposite effect. Rather than turn me off, her tough girl facade piqued my curiosity and made me want to know more about her. Why is she so pissed at the world? What happened to turn her into this emotionally scarred (and surprisingly fragile) young woman who is afraid to love or let anyone get close to her? She was a puzzle I simply had to solve, and the deeper I delved into her story, the more I rooted for her. She was dealt such a crappy hand in life, and I desperately wanted her to find the peace, love and happiness she needed and deserved.Lucky for Beth (and the rest of us!), there is golden boy Ryan Stone.You may as well add Ryan's name to your book boyfriend list now, because I guarantee he will be on it by the time you finish this book. Though he's not what I would consider a bad boy, he's hardly a saint either. His motives for befriending Beth are anything but pure, and some of his choices in the first third or so of the book made me sigh in disappointment because I knew he was a better person than his actions showed him to be. I was right, too. Ryan - the true Ryan - is amazeballs. A keeper in every sense of the word. Caring, intuitive, loyal, talented, an old-school gentleman - the list just goes on and on. If he doesn't rock your world and make you fall head over heels in love with him, there is something seriously wrong with you. Just sayin' ;)The first time Ryan and Beth met, they were like two sparks striking off each other. Opposites attract, indeed! There were a few especially charged scenes where I was sure I was going to spontaneously combust because my system couldn't handle all the hotness.But the course of true love never runs smooth, and for star-crossed lovers Beth and Ryan, that is especially true. Their romance had a distinct Romeo and Juliet flavor to it, and by that I mean, I wasn't sure it would end well for either of them. They got off to such a rocky start, bickering and completely misunderstanding each other - and when they did finally call a truce, everything else around them went to hell. Their relationship was tested and threatened throughout the book. It was intense, let me tell you. I was on tenterhooks the whole time.Katie McGarry really outdid herself with this book. DARE YOU TO is an engrossing, electrically charged read that will stick with you long after you turn the final page. Just be sure you know how to swim before you read it, because you're about to be thrown into the deep end of the feels pool. At the very least, bring a life jacket.5 Stars ★★★★★ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.