rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Club Monstrosity - Jesse Petersen **Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**I love the premise for this book. I mean, c'mon, literary monsters holding regular support group meetings to help them survive and cope with life in the human world? Someone hunting down those same monsters and trying to kill them, just as they were killed in their stories? I was hooked before I even finished reading the book's blurb.Natalie Grey is the last surviving Frankenstein's monster (not a Frankenstein - as she would be the first to tell you, Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster). She has an apartment, a job as an assistant at the morgue, and all she wants to do is safely fly under the radar. She's seen what happens to monsters who draw attention to themselves, and she's been in enough hot water herself over the long years to know to avoid it. Being chased by angry mobs is not her idea of a good time. So she keeps her head down, attends her weekly Monstofelldosis Anonymous meetings, and tries to live a quiet, normal life. Well, as normal as you can get when you're made up of assorted dead body parts, are stronger than the average bear, and riddled with unsightly scars you can't risk anyone seeing.I connected with Natalie's character right away. She's a monster in name only; everything else about her is human to the core. She's incredibly easy to sympathize with and relate to, and best of all, she reacts to situations and dangers believably. As a reader, I appreciated that. She's got some snark and spunk in her too...as if I needed more reasons to like her! Natalie's leading man, wolfman Alec, was a total kick. I smiled at least once (usually more) during scenes told from his POV. He's such a charmingly irreverent rascal, the kind of guy who always has a joke or snappy comeback ready. He really brought the fun to this book, and yet, he could also be heroic and sweet too.Most of the story is devoted to solving the mystery of who is hunting the monsters down. It's the first time the members of Monstofelldosis Anonymous have really had to band together, uniting against a common enemy. It's an uneasy alliance for most of them, marked by the usual disagreements and personality clashes, and I rather liked that the author didn't try to force them all around the campfire to hold hands and sing Kumbaya at the end. They still have their differences and kinks to work out. Something I am sure we'll see more of in the next book.There is a romantic subplot between Natalie and Alec but it's very tame, PG-rated stuff. I confess I was disappointed by that. I wanted more and got less. I'm crossing my fingers there will be more bow-chicka-wowing in the sequel. (Hey, a girl can dream, right?)Club Monstrosity is a satisfying blend of light and dark storytelling, with a hero and heroine you're sure to love. Give these monsters a try, my friends. I guarantee they'll show you a good time.4 Stars β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.