rabidreading

Rabid Reading

The Reece Malcolm List - Amy Spalding **Find this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian**Hit and MissWhen I read the blurb for The Reese Malcolm List, I was intrigued. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, this could be interesting". And it was. The mother-daughter relationship that builds between Devan and the mother she never knew, Reese Malcolm, was by far the highlight of the entire book. There was awkwardness; there was humor; there were mistakes aplenty and some truly beautiful, touching moments. Unfortunately, there was also a lot of high school drama. I was prepared for that (this is a YA novel, after all) but I didn't expect it to affect me so much. I think the problem was age. Mine, specifically. It's not something I run into often but every once in a while, a YA book will really make me feel my years, and sadly, this was one of them. The school scenes, and the joys (and pains) of first love that Devan experienced, didn't draw me into the story, but rather, pushed me out of it. No matter how hard I tried - and I did try - I simply couldn't relate to that side of Devan's life. It was terribly frustrating, because I genuinely liked Devan as a character and wanted to enjoy all of her story instead of merely part of it. Don't let my experience sway you, though. The Reese Malcolm List has real heart, and you may find it is exactly the book for you. Give it a try and see for yourself. 2.5 Stars ★★1/2ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.