rabidreading

Rabid Reading

And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror, #6.5) - Karina Halle There Can Be Only One...Dex ForayThe famous tagline, "There can be only one", may have been written for the Highlander movies, but I think it perfectly describes Dex Foray. He is truly an original. Who else can shock, entice, and make us laugh the way he does? It's no coincidence he is at the top of nearly every EIT fan's book boyfriends list. Goodness knows he's at the top of mine! It's because with Dex, we know there will never be a dull moment. Good or bad, he always finds ways to surprise us. It's what makes him so fascinating and fun to read about. It's also the reason all other male characters stand in his shadow. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of truly amazing male characters out there and I've ranted and raved about quite a few of them, but there is only one Dex.In his second novella, And With Madness Comes The Light, we see Dex at his very lowest, starting right after the fateful events of book 4, Lying Season. He's a despairing wreck, neglecting himself, his apartment, his job, even Fat Rabbit. Fortunately, he has some excellent friends who refuse to let him go quietly into that good night. Rebecca, Emily and Dean are lifesavers, and without their support and help, Dex would still be lost in the darkness of his own misery.I love Dex to bits, but I'm almost glad he hit rock bottom. There have been too many mistakes, too many moments missed and chances blown. It was time for him to step up and be the man we all believe he's capable of being. To prove, not just to Perry, but to himself as well, that's he's worthy of her.If you're looking for feels, you'll find lots of them in AWM. Maybe you'll cry, maybe you won't, but you WILL experience every high and low Dex does. He WILL tug at your emotions, he WILL pluck all your heart strings. And yet, as often as I ached for Dex and what he was going through, I was so damn proud of him too. Perhaps that's strange to say about a fictional character, but it's true. And I loved him all the more for transforming himself into a better man while still retaining his essential Dexness. He's still the same pervy weirdo we fell for in Darkhouse; he's just a new and improved version. Dex 2.0.And With Madness Comes The Light is flawlessly written and sure to shoot straight to the top of every Dex-lover's favorites list. I read it twice in 24 hours, and then a third time a few days later. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does!I cannot wait for Come Alive (EIT #7) to release later this year. An ENTIRE BOOK written from Dex's POV? Yes please!