rabidreading

Rabid Reading

The Better To See You - Kate SeRine **Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**Sequel success! Kate SeRine's debut novel, Red, was one of the last books I read in 2012. Less than 50 pages into it and I knew I'd struck reading gold. I mean, c'mon, a series about fairy tales and literary characters living among us? Sign me up, please! Each Transplanted Tales book focuses on a different couple. In Red, we had Tess and Nate, and in The Better To See You, we get Lavendar and Seth (aka The Big Bad Wolf). While they didn't rock my socks off as much as Tess and Nate did, they sure did give me a fun story to read!Lavendar has her share of crazy, quirky moments, but she's a smart, sarcastically funny gal, and I found it very easy to like and root for her. Her leading man, Seth, is very much a "good guy" hero, and not nearly as tortured and brooding as I perceived him to be in Red. Romantically, they are a good match, balancing out each other's strengths and weaknesses, and boy oh boy, do they ever burn hot in the bedroom!Whereas Red had more of an urban fantasy feel to it, The Better To See You leans more toward paranormal romance, especially in the first half. I'll be honest and say I thought the romance happened too quickly, but only because I prefer a slower buildup. Others will like it just fine. In the second half of the book is where the real action is, when the mystery really kicks in and the story shifts into high gear. I thought SeRine did a wonderful job laying a trail of false clues for her characters and readers to follow. When the Big Bad was revealed, I was totally surprised.By combining the real and the fantastic, and casting make-believe characters as her leading men and ladies, Kate SeRine has created a delightfully unique world for herself and her readers to play in. The story possibilities are practically endless, and I look forward to reading many more Transplanted Tales in the future.4 Stars β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.