rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Othermoon - Nina Berry **Find this and other reviews at The Demon LibrarianOthermoon picks up close on the heels of its predecessor, Otherkin. Not much has changed. Dez and her shifter friends are still learning and testing the limits of their shadow abilities, Caleb is still hot and sexy, the shifter Council still bickers, and the evil Guild is even more determined to wipe the otherkin out of existence. This time around, the Guild has changed tactics. Instead of directly attacking the shifters, the Guild is sneaking into homes and stealing DNA samples. No one knows why, but everyone agrees it can't be for anything good. And the one person who offers to provide answers is the last person they can trust. There is a lot to like about this series. It's got action, romance, a diverse cast of characters, and Berry's concept, her shifter origin story, is pretty darn unique. But there are flaws too, and most of the complaints I have revolve around Dez herself. She suffers from a bad case of Meddling Kid Syndrome, and while I respect her confidence and willingness to do what she believes is right, she can be annoyingly arrogant and self-righteous at times. She is especially so in Othermoon, too quick to get on her soapbox and tell others what to do or how to feel. It doesn't matter if she's proven right in the end (about certain things). Her holier-than-thou attitude puts me off and makes it very hard for me to root for her. That's not to say I don't; it's just not as easy as it should be. The romance started in Otherkin turns into a love triangle, of sorts, in Othermoon. I actually like how it developed, which is really saying something considering I generally hate love triangles on principle. The author handled it quite well, I thought, allowing the events of the novel to test one relationship while slowly, almost cautiously, laying the foundation for another. The best part was, I didn't feel like I had to pick a favorite (although I do have one). Maybe in the next book. I have a feeling whoever she chooses, I'll be okay with. Like Otherkin, Othermoon wasn't a perfect read, but there's good stuff within its pages. I like the series overall and I do plan to read the third book so I can find out what happens next. 3 Stars ★★★ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.