rabidreading

Rabid Reading

This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) - Elizabeth   Hunter Beatrice De Novo thought she had left the supernatural world behind…for the most part. But when the past becomes the present, will she leave her quiet life in Los Angeles to follow a mystery she thought had abandoned her? Where has Giovanni Vecchio been, and why has he returned? Giovanni has his own questions, and he’s looking to her for answers.The sequel to A Hidden Fire will reunite Beatrice and Giovanni to continue their search through the past while both wrestle with the future. When the world as you knew it has changed forever, is there any way you can turn back?I loved A Hidden Fire, and I had such high expectations for This Same Earth. Too high, perhaps. The story begins with journal entries written by Beatrice during Gio's 5 year absence. The entries are raw and highly emotional, covering everything from love to hurt to anger to betrayal. In the last one, she decides enough is enough, she's not doing this anymore. It's time to move on. Flash forward. It is now almost 6 years since Beatrice last saw Gio. On the surface, life is good. Great, in fact. She's got a house, friends, a hot & adoring boyfriend, and she's working her dream librarian job. Better still, it looks like evil vamp Lorenzo has forgotten about her. She has every reason in the world to be happy, and yet, deep down, she's restless. Just going through the motions. That is, until Gio returns.Here's where the story lost stars for me. It wasn't the fact that Gio was suddenly back in B's life - I expected that and was actually looking forward to it. It wasn't even the way B reacted to seeing him again, because I thought she handled it quite well. No, my problem was how quickly and conveniently the author disposed of B's current boyfriend. It left a sour taste in my mouth and dimmed any happiness I was inclined to feel over B & Gio's big reunion. Then there was B's emotional rollercoaster ride. She was up, down and all over the place while she attempted to sort out her feelings for Gio. While I understand her struggle, I confess the crying fits and mood swings got a little old. As was the lovefest that came afterward, when she and Gio finally resolved their relationship. I lost track of how many times they snuggled, cuddled, canoodled, and overused the phrase "I love you". It was a bit much for me. I did enjoy the the additional world-building, expanding on everything we learned in A Hidden Fire. Some new characters are introduced (fabulous, all of them), and we learn more about B's father and the book everyone is after. The end wraps up neatly, and is clearly a set up for book 3. This Same Earth, while underwhelming compared to A Hidden Fire, is still a good read. Certainly good enough to keep me going in the series. 3.5 stars.