rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Cloak and Dagger (The IMA, #1) - Nenia Campbell **Find this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian**An exciting, action-packed read, first in a new series!For weeks now, I've been craving a book with action, complicated characters, and a tension-fueled romance. Something with bang and oomph and kick. You know the kind of book I'm talking about - the kind that leaves you purring like a satisfied cat and reaching instinctively for a cigarette (even if you don't smoke) because DAMN, that was good.Cloak and Dagger was that book for me. It rocked my little socks off, and then some.Rather than summarizing the plot for you (read the book's blurb - it tells you everything you need to know), I'm going to skip straight to the good stuff :)Christina Parker. Oh, how I love this girl. Only 18 years old, kidnapped by an assassin and thrust into a dangerous, violent world, you would think she would be a frightened mess, incapable of anything but tears. And she is afraid. She does cry. But Christina is made of surprisingly strong stuff. She wants very much to live and escape this nightmare she has been dragged into, so what does she do? She fights back. Verbally, physically, any way she can, even if it is to no avail. She is smart, too, and remarkably resourceful for someone so young. I kept waiting for Stockholm syndrome to kick in, for Christina to start romanticizing Michael because, you know, he's hot and all. That's the formula for these books, right? Helpless female falls for sexy, misunderstood hero, and after much trouble, drama and slaying of figurative dragons, they declare their undying love, ride off into the sunset, and live Happily Ever After. The end. Um, yeah, apparently Nenia Campbell did not get that memo! Instead, in the most brilliant of brilliant twists, what we get is Stockholm in reverse. Christina spends most of the book torn between hating Michael and being afraid of him. Even when they are forced to become reluctant allies, she doesn't trust him and is never fully comfortable around him. Michael, on the other hand...well, let's just say it's complicated and leave it at that. Speaking of Michael, he is exactly what you would expect a successful assassin to be. He's ruthless, intelligent, and terrifyingly good at his job. Warm and fuzzy? Puh-lease. He would shoot me for even suggesting it. He isn't angst-ridden or tortured, he isn't going to hold anyone's hand in times of crisis, and he sure as hell isn't waiting for the right woman to come along and put him in touch with his inner hero. Screw that noise. He's got a job to do and if you get in his way, you may not live long enough to regret it. I love that Nenia Campbell did not attempt to pretty Michael up to appeal to readers. Instead, she throws down the gauntlet and dares you to pick it up. Take him or leave him, she seems to say. Love him, hate him, there is no middle ground. Because Michael is not and will never be a classic hero. He's an anti-hero to the core. And you know what? I wouldn't have him any other way. As far as villains go, there are quite a few to choose from, but if I'm picking a winner for the King Douchecanoe Award, it has to go to Adrian Callaghan. Gah, I hated that guy! When he dies - and he MUST die - I hope his death is slow and horribly painful. And I want ringside seats so I can watch. So what do you think? Have I convinced you yet? Are you ready to give Cloak and Dagger a try? If you are, don't wait. Waiting is for sissies. Purchase your copy today and start reading! Reviewed By: