rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) - Becca Fitzpatrick Finally took the plunge and read this book. I put it off for a long time, mostly because reviews are so divided. It seems people either love it, or they really, really hate it. Usually, when I see those type of reactions, I cross the book off my list, but in this case, I made an exception. "Hush, Hush" isn't perfect. I had to suspend my disbelief a few times, and I thought the villians were rather cartoonish & over the top. The female lead, Nora, suffered from a bad case of Meddling Kid Syndrome (Scooby Doo & the gang have nothing on her!). Her "need to know" led her into more than one sticky and potentially dangerous situation. She had a tendency to jump to quick conclusions, too, based on limited information. And yet, despite those annoying traits, she's oddly likable and she does carry the story well. I particularly enjoyed the bantering between her and Patch. Speaking of Patch...oyyy, what a terrible name! I wouldn't call him a hero - he's too flawed - and like Nora, I was torn between liking him and wondering what the heck his agenda was. I enjoyed him though, perhaps because I've never been a fan of "pure as snow" characters and Patch is anything but, lol.