rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle **See this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian blogIt's no secret I LOOOOOOOOVE this series. I've read all the books twice and will sing the praises of author Karina Halle to anyone and everyone I meet. Fangirl? Darn straight I am, and with very good reason! Halle's writing is a wicked cocktail of humor, horror, and romance unlike anything I have read before or since. Dead Sky Morning, the third book in Halle's Experiment In Terror (EIT) series, picks up not long after the events of the previous novel, Red Fox. Perry is still living at home and keeps herself busy blogging and promoting the EIT webshow. She and Dex have completed a few investigations now, and slowly but the surely, the show is building a loyal internet following. Small as it is, Perry clings to that success, because quite simply, the show is all she's got going for her. The rest of her life is a mess, and things are about to get a whole lot worse.For starters, Perry's parents discover the truth about her job situation and angrily demand she quit the EIT show...or else. Dex arrives just in time to save the day and sweep Perry out of the house before things get too ugly, but the damage is done. Trust has been broken and it won't be repaired anytime soon. There is also the problem of Perry's feelings for the mysterious Dex - who still has a girlfriend - and, oh yeah, some really personal, hateful blog comments aimed straight at Perry, which she can't help but be hurt by. But even all that, as bad as it is, is nothing compared to what awaits Dex and Perry on D'Arcy Island.Have you ever been to a place that just didn't feel right? A place that makes you so uncomfortable, you just had to get out of there? Now take that feeling and multiply it by 10 - no, by 100 - and you will get an idea of what D'Arcy Island is like. If that's not enough to freak you out, try to imagine what it would be like to be there alone, just you and your partner, completely cut off from the world, for days. From the moment Perry and Dex set foot on the island, they are beset by trouble. Anything that can go wrong, does. Weather, boat issues, possessed animals, multiple ghost sightings - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The island, it seems, is out to get them. Tension mounts, and tempers flare. Suddenly, investigating and filming for the show is no longer their top priority. All they care about is getting out of there alive, with their sanity intact. Dex and Perry are really put through the wringer in this book, and trust me, you will be too. It's an intense, emotional read filled with thrilling highs and crushing lows. Karina Halle isn't just challenging her characters, she is challenging you as a reader. Do you really love Dex and Perry? Okay, how about now, after this twist or that turn? I hope so, because there's a lot more where that came from! Dead Sky Morning is just the beginning. You've been warned. DSM is more than merely creepy; it's a bone-chilling thriller that will send shivers up your spine and have you hanging on the edge of your seat right to the very end. I wouldn't have it any other way. 5 Stars ★★★★★