rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Alternity - Mari Mancusi Click here to see this and other reviews at The Demon Librarian blogMeh. That's my overall feeling after reading Alternity. Just....meh. In a nutshell, the story is about a girl who wakes up in an alternate world (where everyone thinks she is someone else) and finds herself in the middle of a bitter conflict between two opposing factions. As stories go, it seems promising enough, and to a certain point, the book delivers. The writing flows well, and each scene is clearly painted. I had no trouble at all picturing everything that was going on. So why, then, did I have such a hard time finishing the book? What went wrong?Let's start with the people of Terra, as a whole. On the one hand, you've got super-oppressed Dark Siders living in miserable conditions, and on the other, you've got the rich and (from what I could tell) clueless Indys. And of course, there is the big, bad government deceiving and using them all. If it sounds like a cliched mess, that's because it was.Main character Skye was...okay. I thought she spent too long freaking out in the beginning, and when she went running to Senator Duske, who was so obviously a slimy villain...oyyyy. I could only shake my head in amazement. She pulled it together in the end, though, which I suppose is what counts, and her narration is pretty solid. As for rebel soldier Dawn...nope, didn't like him. He had several moments when I wanted him to step up, really be the hero, and instead he backed down. I was not impressed by that.The romance wasn't quite instalove, but it was damn close. Dawn in particular made a very sudden emotional about-face which I had a tough time believing.There's a neat twist near the end, and the big reveal to the people was rather satisfying, even if it only took a few pages.Final verdict, I didn't hate Alternity, but I didn't love it either. I just wanted more, and sadly, I didn't get it.2 Stars ★★ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.