rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) - Sarah Rees Brennan For some reason, when I started Unspoken, I assumed I was reading about a girl named Kami who dreams of being an award-winning, hard-hitting journalist. She's quirky, she talks to a boy she's never met in her head, and I'll admit, I didn't take her - or the story - too seriously. When Kami stumbled across a gruesome crime scene, I should have realized there was more to the story than the adventures of an intrepid teenage reporter. And yet, I didn't. Or at least, I didn't until the Lynburn family returned after years away and Kami met Jared (the boy in her head) for the first time, in the flesh. That's when it finally hit me that Unspoken wasn't your typical YA book. The more I read, the more engrossed I became. Unspoken offers a bit of everything - humor, emotion, danger, and plenty of mysteries and secrets to unravel and reveal. Oh, so many secrets! The author maintained the tension beautifully, throwing a curve ball here, a surprise there. I couldn't put the book down. What I liked best, though, was Jared and Kami's complicated relationship. Mysteriously connected their entire lives, able to share each other's thoughts and feelings, you would think that meeting each other in person would be no big deal, right? Except it was. It's one thing to have an imaginary friend; it's quite another to find out your imaginary friend is actually real. It's not an easy transition, for either of them. Suddenly, things are awkward. Strange. Confusing. Jared, especially, is freaked out by the change. He's torn between possessiveness and fear of the unknown - one hand reaching for Kami and the other pushing her away. His reaction, and Kami's too, struck me as more honest and believable than if they'd fallen straight into each other's arms the moment they met. Call me twisted, but I liked that it wasn't easy for them. I've never been a big fan of instalove and I appreciated the author steering away from it. Fair warning: The ending is brutal. A total shocker that left me with my jaw hanging open and WTF thoughts rushing through my head. But it makes sense; it fits. It also leaves plenty of ground for book two to cover. Can't wait!