rabidreading

Rabid Reading

A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1) - Jocelyn Davies A Beautiful Dark isn't your standard angel book. The mythology is different (no classic heaven/hell stuff), and they don't call themselves angels (that's a human word for them), but for simplicity's sake, yeah, we're talkin' angels, complete with wings, superpowers, and of course ridiculous good looks. The story itself isn't anything new or ground-breaking. Orphaned teenage girl discovers the truth of her heritage, gains new abilities she must learn to control, and gets caught up in a war/conflict between two opposing factions with very different agendas. And yes, there's a love triangle. Of course there is. Let me just say, up front, that in general, I am not a fan of love triangles. They're way overdone, and most of the time, they create unnecessary drama which, IMO, diminishes the story and all too often lowers my opinion of the characters. I mean, c'mon, is it really that hard to write about a relationship between two people? There aren't enough challenges a couple can face, ways to play up the tension & create conflict so they really have to earn their HEA, you have to throw a third person into the mix to muck things up even further? *sigh* I just don't get it. I'm not saying all love triangles are bad. Some are very well-written and actually improve an already great story. But sadly, those are the exception, not the rule. I hated the love triangle in ABD. Absolutely despised it. From the get-go, it was obvious which boy Skye would pick. Devin's aloof nature, his insistence on obeying the rules (even if he didn't agree with them), put him at a distinct disadvantage. Sure, he and Skye had a few "special" moments, but what's the point of having those if the next time we see him, he's back to being cold and inaccessible? Skye's a teenage girl, and no teenage girl in her right mind will choose a guy like Devin over someone fun and "dangerous" like Asher the playboy. Sorry, ain't gonna happen, and frankly, I'm a little insulted the author expected me to believe Devin was a legitimate contender for Skye's heart. He wasn't. Poor boy didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell. If I must pick a team, I'm Team Devin, mostly because I think he got screwed over in this book (by pretty much everyone) and I've always rooted for the darkhorse types. I hear the next book, A Fractured Light, is very Asher-heavy. BLECH. No thanks, I'll pass.