rabidreading

Rabid Reading

All That We See Or Seem - Tempest C. Avery "All That We See or Seem" centers around a group of teenage witches - the fabled Four - who fled the land of Bevain 300 years ago, were reborn in the human world 16-17 years ago, and have now returned to defeat their old enemy, King Ronan. ATWSOS has potential, but I think it would have functioned better as a middle book instead of a standalone or series starter. There is a whole lot of back story that is either missing or glossed over, and IMO, the story suffers for it. For example, the Four's human lives. I know they've been friends forever, they were all able to work (limited) magic, and they all experienced flashback-type dreams or memories about their former lives. Great. Now, what else? If I'd been able to spend a little time with them BEFORE they zipped back to Bevain to play hero, gotten to know them a bit, I might have been a little more invested in them as characters. Unfortunately, I wasn't given that opportunity. Instead, I was plunged straight into the Bevain world, with limited to no preparation or warning. Sometimes a book can get away with that, but in this case, it didn't work. At least, not for me. It was damn frustrating. So was being told, over and over, that Lily was the leader. I get it already, you don't have to keep beating me over the head with it. That brings up another issue - telling versus showing. There was too much of the former and not enough of the latter. There was also a whole host of convenient plot developments. Meet someone new and need to remember them? Poof, here's the memory! Attacked by evil monsters? Poof, here's magically appearing weapons & freaky ninja skills you didn't know you possessed! Want to "check up on" your friend, make sure he's okay? No problem, here's that scrying power you forgot you had! You get the idea. Last gripe - EDITING. I was astonished by the sheer number of grammatical errors in this book, and I sincerely hope those get fixed. Soon.