rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Street Magic - Caitlin Kittredge 2.5 out of 5 starsI don't what to think about this book. It's a gritty urban fantasy, nothing soft or pretty about it, with some very dark undertones. I enjoy that, to a point. I didn't even mind how f*cked up Jack was - and trust me, he's about as flawed as they come. But there were problems in this book that I had a hard time overcoming. I won't list all of them, only the two I struggled most with. First, the author's botched attempt at "Britspeak". UGH, what an epic failure that was! I've been to the UK & have British friends, and none of them talk anything like Jack and Pete do (Pete = short for Petunia...blech, what a name!). Jack & Pete's speech is rough, and they completely overuse so-called British slang. It didn't make the story "authentic". Quite the opposite. It was annoying, distracting, and ultimately, detracted from the story. My biggest beef, though, was with Jack & Pete's backstory. I felt like I was missing huge chunks of it. Yes, I know they went through something traumatic together 12 years ago, but does that really explain Pete's stubborn attachment to Jack, and why she is willing to risk everything - and I do mean everything - for him? Maybe I'm being too nitpicky but I simply wasn't convinced. Should I continue with this series? Does it get any better? Hell if I know, and honestly, I'm not sure I care enough to find out.