rabidreading

Rabid Reading

The Force of Wind: Elemental Mysteries Book Three

The Force of Wind  - Elizabeth   Hunter Yes, back on track! Book 2 was a bit of a struggle for me, not quite what I was hoping it would be, but I am happy to say that book 3, The Force of Wind, fully restored my faith in the series. The search for "the book" and Beatrice's father continues, this time taking us to China, into Tenzin's world - and what a fascinating world it is! The change in setting really helped, offering new perspectives on the vampire world and shedding more light on the different elemental forces that give each vamp their power. There are some vampire politics to contend with as well, but I've come to expect that from any vamp book I read, and in TFOW, the politics ultimately worked in favor of the story, helping to move things along. Like in book 1, A Hidden Fire, the driving force behind The Force of Wind is the characters. B and Gio are a firmly established couple now, and it shows. They are every bit as lovey-dovey, touchy-feely as they were in the last book, but it felt more....grown-up, I guess? Less like two infatuated teenagers and more like two passionate adults who know exactly who they are and what they want. We see a lot of Tenzin in this book, which I was very happy about. There's a lot to do with Beatrice's dad, too. And of course, there is Lorenzo, up to his usual tricks. I love him as a villain - he's sneaky and conniving and unquestionably dangerous, but oh, so much fun. The issue of Beatrice joining the ranks of vamp-dom is resolved in this book, as well. Very well-written, I thought. It's not an easy decision to make and the author didn't treat it as one. There are definite pros and cons to becoming a vamp and the author, through the characters, addressed each and every one. I appreciated that approach. Sometimes, I think vamp books are guilty of romanticizing the process, basing the human's choice entirely on his or her love for the vamp they are involved with. Not so here. It was refreshing. On to the next one! :)