rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires Series #5)

Drink Deep - Chloe Neill If you thought Hard Bitten's cliffhanger was tough to take, you ain't seen nothin' yet. There are BIG changes and developments in this book, and you may not like some of them. Or any of them. You may even experience a few deranged moments, when you gnash your teeth, growl like a dog, and/or toss the book across the room. All I can say is, remember what Chloe said. Trust her. She knows what she is doing. The supernatural mystery didn't grab me this time around, but in the course of the investigation, there is a lot revealed in conversations, so pay attention. What you learn in DD is going to have a big impact on future books in this series. This was, for me, a character story. Malik was a pleasant surprise. Totally impressed by him & all the vamps. They really banded together here. Catcher was a bit of a disappointment - sulky and sullen, by turns - but under the circumstances, maybe that was to be expected. Mallory, as well, seemed to step out of character. I won't say I agree with her choices, but I understand them. Sorta, lol. It will be interesting to see what's next for her. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Tate. Yeah, I know he's a bad guy, but he's oddly fascinating too. I'd really like to find out what he is and what his true agenda is. He revealed certain things in this book, but it felt like the tip of the iceberg. The real shining star in DD had to be Merit herself. I'll admit, after reading the first teaser chapter(s) Chloe posted, before Drink Deep's release, I was a bit worried how things were going to play out (specifically, between her and Jonah), but I didn't need to be. She handled herself pretty darn well, I thought. She made a well-thought out decision about the RG, and while she didn't exactly discourage Jonah's interest, she didn't really lead him on either. From the beginning, it was clear her heart is in one place, and it stayed there. As a reader, I appreciated that. As for Ethan & the burning question we've all been asking since the end of HB, all I can say is, READ AND FIND OUT. You won't be disappointed. All in all, I really enjoyed this book and eagerly await the next installment :)