rabidreading

Rabid Reading

Mythology - Helen Boswell **Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**Mythology has been on my radar for a little while now, and after meeting the lovely Helen Boswell on Twitter, I decided it was high time I satisfied my curiosity and bumped it to the top of my pile. I'm glad I did, too. Mythology is a good, solid read, and a fine start to a series that has lots of potential. The story is told from the POV of orphaned high school senior Hope, who has the ability to see auras and flashes of others' not-so-pleasant thoughts or memories. It's a dark gift if ever there was one, because so much of what she glimpses is negative. Worse, she can't turn the ability off, and she can't tell anyone about it without sounding crazy - and her classmates already think she's a freak as it is. Her older brother Davis is the only one who knows her secret, and fortunately for her, he's 100% supportive. (Seriously, best brother EVER.) The book doesn't waste any time getting off the ground. There's a shootout in the first chapter, and the next, Hope meets the gorgeous, six foot tall, blond and blue-eyed Micah Condie, a new transfer student with secrets of his own. Right away, there's a spark, and then it's off to the races as Hope and Micah are plunged into a dangerous supernatural world they never knew existed. Despite the tragedy and troubles she's dealt with in her young life, Hope is a wonderfully strong female protagonist. She's optimistic, loyal, and speaks her mind. Doormat? Not here, folks! I wish I'd been even half as together as she is when I was that age. She's almost too mature, more of a junior adult than a teenager, but she pulls it off believably. Truthfully, she's the kind of heroine I wish more YA novels had: well-rounded instead of constantly insecure and angst-ridden, and with a good, clear head on her shoulders. Hope's leading man, Micah, is a total sweetheart. I was on the fence about him at first, because I'm not a big fan of the too-good-to-be-true type, and Micah certainly falls into that category. I fully expected my inner cynic to turn up her nose at him, but to my surprise, she never did. Micah worked his magic, making me awwww and sigh and smile, winning me over one word and scene at a time. It worked, too. I heart the heck out of that boy :) The supporting cast is fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the character of Jonathan Draper. He was one very cool cat, and quite the scene-stealer. The romance happens quickly. Too quickly for my taste, but in a weird way, I think it actually made Mythology a better story - and trust me, as someone who hates instalove as much as I do, that's really saying something! I just can't see how the story would have worked if Hope and Micah hadn't fallen for each other as hard and fast as they did. If the book lacks anything, it's bite. The action was gripping, but it was like watching a movie on TV versus seeing it in the theater, where everything is bigger, badder, and more intense. That is the experience I wanted, and what I hope to get in the next book. We're dealing with guardians and demons here; souls and magic; the age-old struggle between good and evil. Ramp it up. Push the envelope. Drag me to the edge of my seat and make my heart race with excitement. The same goes for the romance. Cut back on the sweet and add more sizzle, and I guarantee a 5-star rating. All in all, Mythology is an enjoyable read with lots to recommend it. The sequel, Mythology: The Wicked, will be published in August 2013, and you can bet I'll be right there on release day, snatching up my copy! 3.5 Stars ★★★1/2ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.